Prospective Graduate Students
The majority of the School of Earth and Space Exploration’s admissions are for the fall semester. Spring admissions occur under special circumstances. For full consideration of funding and campus recruitment activities, the following application dates apply. Applications are encouraged before these dates and those received after may be considered at a lower priority for funding:
January 15 of the current year for fall admission
October 1 of the previous year for spring admission
To be eligible for admission to the School of Earth and Space Exploration's graduate program applicants must:
- have a bachelor’s degree
- have at least a 3.0 GPA
- demonstrate English proficiency via the TOEF, IELTS or PTE, if necessary. More information regarding English proficiency and required scores can be found at: https://admission.asu.edu/international/graduate/english-proficiency
The School of Earth and Space Exploration no longer requires applicants to take the GRE. Although this change may not be reflected on all of ASU’s webpages it is effective immediately.
Additional Items to Consider:
- Most applicants will have a degree in an area related to the graduate degree they are seeking, although this is not a requirement.
- Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee admission to the program.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact faculty ahead of time to discuss our programs and current opportunities. Our faculty often attend international meetings prior to the application deadline, for instance the December American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the January American Astronomical Society (AAS) meetings and applicants attending these meetings are encouraged to make contact with faculty during these events.
- Students who complete a 3-year bachelor’s degree are required to show proof of 1-year of graduate studies to be eligible for admission to ASU.
All application materials are submitted online through the Graduate Admissions electronic application. The application will provide instructions regarding the required materials, which include:
- Basic application and fee: https://admission.asu.edu/graduate/apply
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants must prepare a statement of purpose explaining the interest in our program, academic/professional goals and areas of interest. Applicants should also reference the names of faculty with whom they are interested in working or have already consulted. Statements are uploaded to the electronic application and are generally a few pages in length.
- Three letters of recommendation: In the degree portion of the electronic application, applicants must provide email addresses for referees. Referees will receive automated requests to fill out the School of Earth and Space Exploration's electronic letter of recommendation form where they can also upload a written letter of support. Once the electronic application is submitted, students may send reminder emails to referees and edit referee contact info through MYASU: https://webapp4.asu.edu/myasu.
- Demonstration of English Proficiency: International graduate applicants whose native language is not English are required to show proof of English proficiency. More information can be found here: https://admission.asu.edu/international/graduate/english-proficiency. Official English proficiency test scores must be sent directly from the agency administering the test to the ASU Admissions. The ASU Institution code is 4007. Test results should not be sent directly to the School of Earth and Space Exploration.
- Transcripts from all former institutions: Applicants must have one set of transcripts from every college and university attended sent to ASU. For more information about transcripts please visit: https://admission.asu.edu/graduate/apply. See the Graduate Admissions website for more details regarding application materials.
- Academic Record form: Downloadable Academic Record form PDF and Word doc. This form is intended to highlight the coursework applicants have taken that is applicable to the degree for which they are applying. It is not a replacement for official transcripts and is required in addition to official transcripts. Applicants should fill out the academic record form as completely as possible. The form must be uploaded to the Academic Record section of the online application. Applicants who are unable to fill out the form electronically should fill it out by hand, scan it, and upload it to the Academic Record section of the application.
All official documents must be mailed to Graduate Admissions:
|If sending by stamped mail:||If sending by FedEx, DHL or UPS:|
|Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
PO Box 871004
Tempe, AZ 85287-1004
|Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
1150 East University Drive, Building C, Room 226
Tempe, AZ 85281
Additional Application Information
Prior to the application deadline, applicants are strongly encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors to discuss research interests and to explore research opportunities. Networking at an early stage can strongly enhance admissions decisions.
The graduate admissions committee may not review incomplete applications. It is important for applicants to turn in all the required materials as early as possible.
Late applications are accepted although they may not receive the same consideration as those turned in by the deadline.
It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that all materials, including letters of recommendation, are received by the school. Inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org