Faculty Positions in SESE
Research Assistant Professor (Laboratory Manager)
Research Assistant Professor (Laboratory Manager) at Arizona State University, Center for Meteorite Studies, Job Number 10633. The Center for Meteorite Studies at Arizona State University (ASU) invites applications for a Research Assistant Professor beginning February 1, 2014. The successful candidate will be expected to conduct independent research, participate in ongoing research in isotope cosmochemistry, and manage the day-to-day operation of the Isotope Cosmochemistry and Geochronology Laboratory. Ongoing research projects include the investigation of a variety of meteoritic materials towards the development of fine-scale chronometers based on short-lived radionuclides, as well as characterization of mass dependent fractionation of the stable isotopes of a variety of elements (to constrain nebular and nucleosynthetic sources).
The Isotope Cosmochemistry and Geochronology Laboratory includes a ThermoNeptune MC-1CPMS (equipped with a Photon Machines excimer laser ablation system) and an associated clean chemistry laboratory for ultralow-blank sample preparation. Access to a variety of analytical facilities, including Cameca 6F and NanoSIMS 50L ion microprobes, a Thermo X-series quadrupole ICPMS, a new JEOL8530F electron microprobe, and various other electron microbeam instruments, is available at ASU.
The Center for Meteorite Studies will provide salary support for 75% of this position (nine months). It is expected that the successful candidate will fund the remaining 25% of this appointment (three months) through external funds he/she secures. Subsequent renewal of this annual appointment is contingent upon satisfactory performance and availability of resources.
Minimum qualifications include a Ph.D. in the physical sciences and experience with mass spectrometry. Experience in geochemistry and cosmochemistry is highly desirable.
To apply, please submit a current CV, statement of research interests, and the names and contact information for three references to Dr. Meenakshi Wadhwa, Director of the Center for Meteorite Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Initial review of applications will begin on December 23, 2013; if not filled, review will occur every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed. A background check is required for employment.
ASU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.